Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Project ENABLE - Day 3

This morning's workshop started out with two really interesting discussions.  The first covered our group homework assignment from last night.  We began working on our action plan for making our library more accessible for all learners.  We worked on two goals to start with.  The first was our previously mentioned goal of improving communication between the library and the special education department.  We're working on a form to easily communicate the resources available and match the students with what would help them the most.    It sounded like several other groups struggle with the same issue and it was interesting to hear other people's take on how to address this problem.  The other issue we addressed was another item of common discussion.  We are interested in improving our collection, particularly to address the upper and lower literacy levels of our students.  We will work to invest in high interest/low reading level books as well as books with a higher reading level.  We have already begun looking at catalogs for hi/lo books and will look at lists such as the New York Times bestseller lists and the Alex Awards to find higher reading level materials.  Another aspect of this goal is to begin a picture book collection that teachers can use to introduce and support topics.

After covering our homework, we had a discussion about what librarians do all day, using the questions in the previous post.  The librarians had divided into two groups, elementary and secondary.   The elementary librarians appointed a spokesperson, who first shared a library cheer and then spoke to the questions.  I was reminded of the differences and similarities between the elementary and secondary library experiences.  One thing that we seem to share is a sadness in our view of how others in our school district perceive us.   While I share the sorrow, I've worked hard to overcome these negative perceptions.  I try to advocate for my library program in and out of our school and endeavor to make everyone I can aware of what we do in the library.  I think I've gotten to a level of respect within our school, even for those who don't utilize our services.  I put in a few words about my experiences  collaborating with teachers and librarians, and managed to use the words "sucking" "suckee" and "pimping" within the span of 5 minutes.  Regardless, I think I got my point across.  Work to get one person into the library and involved in collaboration and you've done a great job!  I shoot for one new teacher and one established teacher each year.  If I can get those two, I'm completely thrilled!  Success breeds success.

We also looked at library policy and procedures today.  When we first started this discussion, I was aware of our district library policy, which is about 3 pages, and addresses collection development and challenges/reconsideration requests.  It is simple, inclusive, largely based on ALA (American Library Association) material and works for us.  As I work in a library with one assistant, I did not feel that writing a detailed procedure manual would be a good use of my time.  After looking at the example documents and a lively discussion, I am convinced that such a document would be useful to have.  While I think we'll try to keep ours in the 10-15 page range (not 200+!),  i can now see the value of reflecting on our practice and utilizing that experience to draft a procedure manual.  This manual could be useful to substitutes, volunteers and future staff.  Creation of this document is something I will consider for the 2011-12 school year.

We concluded our day with a discussion of the AASL and CCLS standards and some lesson planning.  I was a little surprised by how many people were not familiar with these standards or had incorrect information about their adoption/implementation.  It was really interesting to look at the ALA Crosswalk of standards and apply it to a lesson for Brigitte's Economics class.  We took an old lesson and infused some technology, turning a standard research-and-write-a-paper project into a reflective research and expression through blogging exercise.  I'm really interested to see how this lesson evolves and ultimately is utilized.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's work and find that I'm really enjoying the various perspectives of the participants in the workshop.  My team was discussing today how nice it is to just have time to talk and brainstorm and come up with nifty ideas.  Time is not something we often have, and we are making the most of this week!

While I had been writing this blog mostly for my own reflection, I shared it with the class today, and hope to hear from some of you.  Please chime in with your thoughts, ideas and comments.  I value your input!

No comments:

Post a Comment